SIRIUS LAUNCHES OUTQ
The Only 24/7 National Entertainment Service For The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Community
NEW YORK, NY — April 15, 2003 — SIRIUS (NASDAQ: SIRI), the premier satellite radio broadcaster and only service delivering uncompromised Coast-to-coast music and entertainment for your car and home, was joined today by Harvey Fierstein, the award-winning playwright, actor, and Gay rights activist, and Joan Garry, executive director of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), to announce the launch of the nation’s only around-the-clock broadcast entertainment service for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender (GLBT) community. The new SIRIUS stream 149, named OutQ, officially debuted for listeners across the country on April 14th.
Fierstein, who is currently starring on Broadway in the smash hit musical, Hairspray, joined SIRIUS in kicking off OutQ at the SIRIUS National Broadcast Studios in NYC. “It’s a good thing that SIRIUS is uncensored, because I’m going to be one of OUTQ’s first guests, and I’ve been holding back more than a few mouthfuls for the occasion!” Fierstein joked. “I am thrilled that something like OutQ has finally arrived. I can’t tell you how boring it is to turn on the radio, day after day, and hear nothing but straight folk. Heterosexuals are nice people, but they’re not all that interesting. To me, adding OutQ to the broadcasting world is like upgrading from black and white to living color. Let the GAYS begin!”
OutQ stream is the only dedicated nationwide source for real-time news, information, and entertainment for an audience estimated to be more than 15 million Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Americans plus their families, friends, and supporters.
“In this groundbreaking move, SIRIUS distinguishes itself as a company committed to inclusive and responsible programming,” Garry said. “OutQ presents a unique opportunity to reach our community, to bring them together, and to shed light on our joys, our issues, our concerns, our stories. We expect that SIRIUS will take full advantage of the possibilities.”
“SIRIUS is passionate about providing programming that meets the demands of all audiences and communities, and OutQ promises to be one of the primary real-time resources for the Gay and Lesbian audience,” said Larry Rebich, SIRIUS’ vice president, programming and market development. “OutQ encompasses entertaining and provocative talk shows on a wide and diverse array of topics, and serves an audience that, until now, has been largely ignored by both traditional radio and television.”
SIRIUS programmer John McMullen has moved from his role as host on SIRIUS Left to serve as program director and host of OutQ. In addition to McMullen’s show, SIRIUS has signed a number of high-profile Gay community personalities for OutQ, including:
- Wayne Besen: A nationally recognized advocate for the Gay and Lesbian community who serves as a frequent guest on leading news and political talk shows such as the NBC Nightly News, CNN’s The Point, Fox’s O’Reilly Factor and Hannity and Colmes, and MSNBC News.
- Natalie Davis: A 20-year veteran in broadcast and print journalism with mainstream, alternative, and GLBT press.
- Cary Harrison: He brings a loyal audience to OutQ as a result of his weekly magazine-style talk radio show On the Edge, broadcast in Los Angeles, CA.
- Angelique Perrin: A nationally syndicated radio personality who has also worked at Black Entertainment Television Network and Hard Copy.
- Michelangelo Signorile: An acclaimed author, journalist, and columnist who has covered politics, media, and culture for more than 10 years for outlets such as the The Advocate, Gay.com, Out magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, The New York Observer, New York Magazine, and The Village Voice.
- Derek Hartley: A columnist for PlanetOut.com, who has previously written for a number national magazines including Genre, Unzipped Magazine, On Our Backs, HERO, and the 10th Anniversary edition of Out & About.
- Romaine Patterson: A leading Gay rights speaker and activist who founded Angel Action, an organization for peaceful demonstration, after her close friend, Matthew Shepard, died as a result of an anti-Gay hate crime in Laramie, Wyo.
- Corey Johnson: The first openly Gay high school football team captain in America – Corey’s courageous coming-out story was told on the pages of the New York Times, Sports Illustrated, and hundreds of local newspapers around the country, as well as on ESPN and ABC’s 20/20.
- Tim Curran: With 20 years of broadcast journalism experience including work with MTV’s Real World and Road Rules, Bravo, The History Channel, and GAYBC Radio.
OutQ newscasts deliver critical and topical information relevant to specific GLBT issues and the world in general, while the original and exclusive talk shows deal with a broad range of entertaining and provocative topics for the audience.
“We’ve built an exciting schedule of shows engaging the GLBT community in a variety of news, entertainment, and issues-oriented dialogues,” McMullen said. “One of the most compelling facets of the OutQ experience will be the immediacy and interactivity of the shows, which are delivered directly to our listeners in their cars and homes on a national scale.”
SIRIUS is the only satellite radio service bringing listeners more than 100 streams of the best music and entertainment Coast-to-coast. SIRIUS offers 60 music streams with no commercials, along with over 40 world-class sports, news, and entertainment streams for a monthly subscription fee of $12.95. Stream Jockeys create and deliver uncompromised music in virtually every genre to our listeners 24-hours a day. Satellite radio products bringing SIRIUS to listeners in the car, truck, home, RV, and boat are manufactured by Kenwood, Panasonic, Clarion, and Audiovox, and are available at major retailers including Circuit City, Best Buy, Car Toys, Good Guys, Tweeter, Ultimate Electronics, Sears, and Crutchfield. SIRIUS is the premier OEM satellite radio provider, with exclusive partnerships with DaimlerChrysler, Ford, and BMW. Automotive brands currently offering SIRIUS radios in select new car models include BMW, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep®, Nissan, Infiniti, and Mazda. Automotive brands that have announced plans to start offering SIRIUS in select models include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Volvo, MINI, Audi, Volkswagen, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.
Click on sirius.com to listen to SIRIUS LIVE, or to find a SIRIUS retailer or car dealer in your area.
Any statements that express, or involve discussions as to, expectations, beliefs, plans, objectives, assumptions, future events or performance with respect to SIRIUS Satellite Radio Inc. are not historical facts and may be forward-looking and, accordingly, such statements involve estimates, assumptions and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Accordingly, any such statements are qualified in their entirety by reference to the factors discussed in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2002 filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Among the key factors that have a direct bearing on our results of operations are: our need for substantial additional funds before the second quarter of 2004; our dependence upon third parties to manufacture, distribute, market and sell SIRIUS radios and components for those radios; the unproven market for our service; our competitive position and any events which affect the useful life of our satellites.